30 June 2016

Postcard

So here we are in sunny Kefalonia. So far the day went like this...Woke up early and promptly went back to sleep. Woke again around eight and showered before breakfast. Boiled eggs, ham and cheese, toast, fruit, sweet Greek cakes, orange juice and coffee. 

Then I got ready to walk up the lane to the village of Karavados where there is a little supermarket or "mini mart". It was around two miles there and back. I returned with "Mythos" beer, water, wine and snacks. Life's essentials
Above - In Karavados this morning.  Below - lunch by the sea.
Then to the hotel's pool area in the shade of a palm tree, reading our novels and swimming. I noticed the acrobatic winging of swallows.

Around two in the afternoon we got ready to walk down to a little bay nearby. We had a light lunch in a traditional taverna, overlooking The Ionian Sea and then descended to the little sandy cove where we set up beach camp till six in the evening. I swam right out into the blueness and later in the soft cliffs I found a layer of seashells that must have been deposited  at the time of the dinosaurs - anyway, long ago that's for sure.
Then up past the little pink Greek Orthodox church and back along the lane to our hotel where we washed away the saltiness of the sea and lounged again as the red hot sun disappeared over the other side of the island. Time for a beer and another chapter. Then showered once more we came down for dinner. Greek salad, kleftiko, moussaka, stuffed tomatoes and honeydew melon with a jug of local wine.
View from our room
It's getting dark now as I sit here writing this post in the hotel lobby where the wi-fi is strongest. And so that's all for now folks. Best wishes...YP x

14 comments:

  1. Glad it's to your liking but the pound fell a bit then recovered a bit today. Wait before you buy the Island. It will collapse as you remainers believed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you stand all this great food and location! It sounds like you made a great choice for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About bloody time you turned up! I was about to round up the posse and send out a search party! I thought you'd run off with Zorba...or Shirley had and you were in hot pursuit!!

    It looks wonderful, Yorkie...make the most of every second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a hard life to me but then somebody has to do it. Are you sure that you wouldn't rather be preparing, sanding and varnishing 20 oak door surrounds? I could always swap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This holiday is really great, I'm enjoying it as much as Mr and Mrs Pudding. Wonderful photo of the lady sweeping!

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvellous. Enjoy every minute. I'm counting down the weeks until I go on holiday. We NEED some sun and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THREE showers in one day?! Your skin will go all thin and brittle!

    Seriously, this sounds lovely, although I doubt I could manage greek salad AND kleftiko AND moussaka AND stuffed tomatoes AND melon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this post yesterday on my lunch break at work and it was like a tiny mental vacation for me! It sounds absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to hear more. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here it is raining on and off (more on than off) and cold enough for a top coat! Can't you arrange to stay there in that glorious weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading about all this food and leisure is not helping my diet, Mr. Pudding!! I am gaining weight as we speak simply by osmosis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just the place to go for a holiday then. Great ! Looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful - and another world YP - enjoy it, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the postcard, Lord Pudding! Nice to see you are having a good time.

    -Jen (neighbor of Hilly and former lurker of Puddings, who finally revived a Google account to join in commenting)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed this post when you first posted it. I love the pic of the lady sweeping her patio. Looks like such a colorful, warm, pleasant place!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits