15 October 2015

Gallery

Back to Monday and my day excursion to Lincoln. I took 166 pictures that day and they weren't all of the city's awesome cathedral. Especially for your edification and ocular pleasure, here's a little selection:-
At Sheffield's Midland Station before the 9.44 train arrived
By The Foss Dyke - a canal that has linked Lincoln with
The River Trent since Roman times
Royal Air Force Red Arrows training in the Lincolnshire skies
A swans' nest by Main Drain, South Carlton Fen
St John the Baptist Church in South Carlton
Honey fungus in St Vincent's churchyard, Burton-by-Lincoln
Birds on wires near Riseholme
Inquisitive cow on the Riseholme estate.
I forgot to mention that Shirley and I spent our wedding night in Lincoln thirty four years ago. Not for us a fortnight in the Maldives or a Caribbean beach holiday. We had just bought our first house and on the Sunday afternoon following our wedding and our one night honeymoon in Lincoln, I carried her over the threshold of 40 Leamington Street. My back has never been the same since! 

13 comments:

  1. The Foss Dyke is very well composed. The Red Arrows started off well with a 'Y' but then they lost the plot with the 'P'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! ....Those jets became a little irritating with noise they kept making when I was enjoying a peaceful walk.

      Delete
  2. These pictures were well worth taking!
    I am surprised to see a young swan so late in the year, but I guess he/she is already big and strong enough to make it through winter.
    Although I was married twice, I have not had a honeymoon in the Maldives or the Caribbean, either. And nobody has ever carried me over any threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were four other young swans further along the waterway - still with some of their grey cygnet plumage. How did Steve and your Sicilian beau get you over the threshold if they didn't carry you? A large catapult?

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you clad yourself and took the above photos, Yorkie.

    That honey fungus is incredible. The cow has such a satisfied look on its face I think she might have devoured some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The burghers of Lincoln don't approve of naked ramblers Lee! And yes I agree that the honey fungus I spotted was stunning! I don't think I have ever seen any as monstrous as that. The cow was called Nelly after Dame Nelly Melba.

      Delete
    2. And I guess she can moo "La Traviata", too...the cow!!

      Delete
  4. The South Carlton church and burial ground looks restful place to stay awhile - but the honey fungus looks creepy and evil. The Foss Dyke looks as though it hasn't been cleaned up since the Romans left town.

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Foss Dyke still has boat traffic every day. That stuff on the surface was just algae and floating pond weed. As for the honey fungus, I am sure you could turn it into a nice wedding hat Alphie!

      Delete
  5. I love the pictures, especially the honey fungus and the birds on a wire. Stunning as usual, Mr. Pudding.

    p.s. Remind me to tell poor Shirley that you disrespected her in this most beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Big Bear would never disrespect you..... would he MT?
      (Voice from man cave - "I damn well would!")

      Delete
  6. That's a grand collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent photos. I especially like the cemetery and the houseboat. And the fungus. I mean, really, who doesn't appreciate a good fungus? Oh, and the cow. Cows have kind eyes and are much more peaceful than humans.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits