7 January 2015

Bravo!

When ever I go to see a new film at the cinema, I am hoping to be wowed. At least hoping to come away thinking: "Now that was a damned good film".  But too often I am disappointed.

However, yesterday was more than good. Tears and laughter and total commitment to the cinematic illusion in front of my eyes - "The Theory of Everything" directed by James Marsh and based on a memoir by Jane Hawking: "Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen".

Bravo! to Eddie Redmayne who played the Cambridge cosmologist Stephen Hawking with such sensitivity - imbuing the role with humour and humanity as we see the great academic's gradually developing battle with motor neurone disease - even as he strives to break new ground in understanding the nature of the universe in which we dwell.

And another "Bravo!" to Felicity Jones who played Stephen's wife. Her love for him overrode the practical hurdles that motor neurone disease placed in their way. They had three children and knew thirty years of wedded happiness before separating. The wheelchair-bound professor had found a new woman to love - his principal carer played by Maxine Peake.

It was a gentle, well-mannered film that convincingly takes you back to the cotton wool academic world of Cambridge in the early 1960's and beyond. No murders or bullets or car chases. Just people trying to get by - even though one of them has a very brilliant mind and an awful handicap. A very lovely film.

10 comments:

  1. A friend and I were only discussing this movie a couple of days ago...it's a must-see, that's for sure. As is "The Imitation Game" - one you discussed earlier. There are quite a few good movies around at the moment. "Birdman" is another that's receiving high praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen "Birdman" but I hope and believe that you will ultimately enjoy the other two as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. There was a mini feature about the film on telly the other day, which made me think I'd probably enjoy that one. Your description confirms this.
    I didn't know the couple separated after 30 years. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I never knew that either. In the film they part with friendly resignation though in real life I believe it was Stephen who decided to close the book. I guess that when worsening motor neurone disease enters the equation the outcome will be in some jeopardy.

      Delete
  3. I recently watching the very impressive Hawking with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the scientist. I'm not sure I can handle another film about him just yet - though I've heard it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watched... not watching. I have no excuse. It's a typo.

      Delete
    2. No AJ - it's one sauvignon blanc too many!

      Delete
  4. I agree, a really nice movie. And both major actors deserve awards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for calling by Peter. Redmayne was quite brilliant wan't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one a film I definitely want to see. I might even make the effort when I'm away.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits