15 May 2014

Departure

Regular visitors to this humble blog may recall that last month I wrote in admiration of teenager Stephen Sutton. You can see that post here. In spite of battling deadly bowel cancer, he had decided to leave this life in joyous celebration of it. He drummed, he sang, he danced, he flew. But perhaps his most noteworthy achievement was to raise bucket loads of money for the Teenage Cancer Trust. As I write this blogpost I notice that his running total is currently £3.6 million. If you haven't already donated, please help to increase Stephen's charity legacy a little bit more. Oh, by the way, Stephen died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of yesterday morning. He was nineteen.
Daily Mirror front page, 15/5/14

7 comments:

  1. He was a lovely, positive boy, despite everything. A true inspiration to all of us and a kick up the backside for us to stop whinging and make every minute of every day count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is that sounds like hard work to me Molly. Sometimes I just want to flop down on the sofa and watch "Gogglebox" or "Have I Got News for You". But you're right - Stephen's attitude should cause us to examine the way we are living our own lives.

      Delete
    2. A minute can count if you are laughing for a minute or enjoying the sunshine or even watching your favourite programme on TV.

      Delete
  2. A great person inspired by adversity. Having seen the mega bucks that charity managers command and their cavalier attitude to my contact details I no longer donate on line. I do give money to people but need to find a secure and anonymous way of doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find that "Just Giving" is one of those places Adrian.

      Delete
    2. I'll look into it. Many thanks.

      Delete
  3. I remember your previous post about him, and what I read about him on the internet and bits on TV. I don't know whether the way he lived his short life makes it any easier for his family and friends to deal with his death, but I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits