24 December 2011

Eve

Is it just me? Invariably, I have relished Christmastime. It has been a time for family, for taking stock, for feasting, marking the end of one year and the coming of another one. Usually, I feel optimistic at this time of year as we all flip to a fresh new page. However, as 2011 makes way for 2012, I can't help feeling somehow despondent. The News is imbued with gloom and doom. The economies of the western world are in crisis. So many talented young people can't even get on the first rung of the jobs ladder while many businesses are retracting. Meantime, ignoble politicians continue to live the life of Riley - second homes, business lunches, fat pensions and over-generous expenses - their skins as thick and leathery as leather backed turtles, their egos as inflated as blimps.

I remember all those Christmases of the past. My brothers. My parents. When the children were little. Winters without central heating. Nana Morris and Jock. Figgy pudding and home-made chestnut stuffing. Mince pies and tinsel. The pine forest scent of Christmas trees. Midnight services we attended just to sing carols. That crisp December air. Walking gingerly on iced pavements. Our Lord Emmanuel. Those walks upon Stanage Edge as the turkey slowly roasted back home in the old gas oven. Yes. A time to take stock. To remember and then to move on.

But next year. What lies ahead? The Arab world remains in the turmoil of political change. Hideous military adventures in Afghanistan continue unabated. The natural world keeps screaming for help as the human population mushrooms. Working people are squeezed ever more as cruel whispers spread that those who simply can't find work only have themselves to blame. Through television and other media we are bombarded with a new religion - The Cult of Celebrity - as those of us who are not celebrities struggle through the mud of our countless inadequacies. And there are automated cold callers on the telephone.

Blogland will not come a moment too soon. "There's a place far away they call the promised land..." On New Year's Eve, Shirley and I will be jetting there to check the progress of developments. Cynics please note that we have paid for this trip with our own hard-earned money. I will endeavour to keep you informed about what's happening in the infant nation but please understand that full internet facilities are not yet established.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Christmas and let's hope that 2012 turns out to be better than its angels herald. 

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy Blogland, YP and please take all possible steps to hasten the departure of the rest of us. Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish for you and for all of us a 2012 filled with peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. merry christmas me old son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a joyous and peaceful Christmas, YP. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it isn't just you. I wish you a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your trip to Blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas here was great. Hope yours is too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas here was great. Hope yours is too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas YP.
    Well that's Christmas done here in Oz for another year. I'm so stuffed I can hardly waddle to the computer. We are not long home but I've been stretched out in my recliner chair since we stumbled back through the door!
    Hope you have a nice day too.
    I'm not moving much tomorrow... or eating again either ( famous last words ?!!)
    I'm thinking positive about the year ahead. Hope you trip to Blogland makes you feel more positive too.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. JENNY I will pay special attention to your property. Last time I heard they were having a little trouble with the queen-size waterbed you ordered.
    RHYMES Thank you kind sir - a sentiment with which I wholly concur.
    EARL GRAY Ditto squire!
    ELIZABETH Ditto ma'am!
    DAPHNE Phew! It's not just me - that is a relief. I can't remember if you asked for hammocks on your sea-view verandah or a rocking bench on chains? Merry Xmas Lass!
    KATHERINE & HELEN Just cos you get everything before us, there's no need to rub it in! Xmas Greetings to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits