2 July 2010

Grief


I always loved this haunting song but now it has been imbued with extra meaning. I've chosen an amateurish video version with the writer, Andy Irvine and his friend Donal Lunny in concert.

The West Coast of Clare
by Andy Irvine

Sorrow and sadness, bitterness, grief
Memories I have of you, won't leave me in peace
My mind is running back, to the west coast of Clare
Thinking of you, the times we had there

I walked to Spanish Point, I knew I'd find you there
I stood on the white strand, and you were everywhere
Vivid memories faint, but the mood still remains
I wish I could go back, and be with you again

In Miltown there's a pub, its there that I sat down
I see you everywhere, your face is all around
The search for times past, contain such sweet pain
I banish lonesome thoughts, but they return again

I walk along the shore, the rain in my face
My mind is numb with grief, of you there is no trace
I'll think of this again, when in far off lands I roam
Walking with you, by this cold Atlantic foam

Sorrow and sadness, bitterness, grief
Memories I have of you, won't leave me in peace
My mind is running back, to the west coast of Clare
Thinking of you, the times we had there

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth3:56 pm

    YP, I don't think you could have found a song with more resonance for you if you'd searched the world over. Beautiful, haunting words and, of course, the location gives it an extra poignancy. You, in your 'far off land', must have many memories of Paul sharing the places of Clare with you.

    His body resides there and his spirit is still there in the lives and hearts of all who knew and loved him. I expect you've seen some of it in his children and grandchildren, already. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth - You're right. That song seemed made for this moment and for Paul. By the way - there's only one granddaughter by Kate. Paul's sons are only eighteen and sixteen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth10:04 pm

    My apologies, YP. I didn't mean to be insensitive - I had realised that, really, just inadvertently used the wrong word. Michael and Kevin are too young to lose their father and Cait has been deprived of a grandfather. Its not and never can be right, but I can guess that they have a lovely, caring uncle and great uncle in a 'far off land' who will be looking out for them ... xx

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits